Chrysocolla stone and its properties
Chrysocolla stone is a mineral that, due to its high copper content, is highly attractive. It is shown in shades of green and blue, and sometimes it is covered with a thin layer of quartz and even interlaced with it.
It does not have a defined chemical formula, motivated by the great diversity of elements that this mineral contains, but there is a less variable form of chrysocolla that has a definitive chemical formula, which is Cu2H2Si2O5 (OH) 4.
Chrysocolla physical properties.
- Color: blue, green and brown.
- Stripe: white.
- Luster: lackluster to vitreous or waxy.
- Transparencia: translucent – opaque
- Crystalline system: orthorhombic.
- Crystalline habit: nodular, massive.
- Exfoliation: irregular.
- Fracture: conchoidal.
- Hardness: 2.5 – 3.5 (Mohs).
- Tenacity: brittle.
- Density: 1.9 – 2.4 (varies up to 3).
- Refractive index: nω = 1,460 nε = 1,570.
- Birefringence: + 0.110.
- Fluorescence: it does not have fluorescence.
- Solubility: easy to decompose in hydrochloric acid.
This word comes from the Greek “Chrysokolla”, which translated means gold (chrysos) and glue (kolla). This term refers to the materials that they used for the first time in gold solders, as it dates in the reviews of Teofrasto in the year 315 BC, where it refers to the chrysocolla as an element to solder gold.
Its use in various cultures over the years is in various ways, for example: the Romans and Greeks used this mineral to solder gold; the Incas used it for various goldsmith jobs; the American Indians calmed their emotions and reinforced their defenses; while the Egyptians considered chrysocolla as a stone for sages.
Origin of the chrysocolla.
This mineral is formed through the decomposition of other minerals, which is why it is considered a secondary mineral. It is usually associated with copper deposits, where in the past the presence of this stone was useful to guide and find possible copper deposits.
It is made up of amorphous copper silicates, showing globular layers, which give it a similar appearance to bunches of grapes. Sometimes the accumulated sediment creates bulges in the outer layers, giving it an earthy appearance.
On some occasions, its characteristic turquoise green color is caused by brown or black spots, due to the fact that it contains fragments of limonite, copper oxide and aluminum oxide.
Main deposits of the chrysocolla.
In almost all the continents of the world this mineral can be found, but the most important ones are found specifically in the town of potrerillos in Chile, in Durango Mexico and in Arizona United States. Other localities that have deposits of this mineral are found in England, Russia, Italy, the Congo, Zambia, Morocco and Zimbabwe.
Chrysocolla physical characteristics.
This mineral can easily pass light; its color ranges from green to bluish and looks like an opal. If this mineral fractures, it does not usually follow the natural planes of its separation, because it is conchoidal.
It shows a tendency to brittleness since it is characterized by having a hardness of 2.5 to 3.5 on the Mohs scale. With a specific gravity of 2 to 2.2. Its stripe tends to be white or pale blue.
It crystallizes orthogonally, since its crystallization system is orthorhombic, the aggregates of this stone cannot be visible in crystals.
Chemical characteristics of chrysocolla.
Its chemical characteristics vary greatly, since it is not a fully defined element. For example, depending on the stone, the presence of the copper oxide present in it can vary between 18% to 68%.
Some investigations showed that chrysocolla can be a mixture of different hydrated copper silicates, due to the fact that in some studies certain differences were found in its crystal structure.
For this reason, and according to their composition, some varieties were assigned names: cyanochalcite and demidoffite (containing high density of copper phosphate); dillenburite (contains a high amount of copper carbonate) and pillarite (contains a high content of alumina).
Spiritual properties of chrysocolla.
- The chrysocolla is capable of transmitting a state of peace and tranquility, emotional and mental relaxation to whoever wears it. This stone is a great help if you are having a moment of emotional restlessness, if there are many worries or something disturbs the peace, achieving the strengthening of emotional balance.
- Another virtue of this mineral is that it helps maintain loving relationships, improving communication, tolerance and understanding, in order to strengthen the bonds of respect and love between a couple or marriage relationship.
- It helps to enhance a person’s strengths, since with it you discover the gifts and even the weaknesses, managing to achieve spiritual growth to achieve success. Taking into account that a person becomes stronger when he recognizes his weaknesses.
- This mineral is also used to eliminate stress, tension and negative charges. It is also capable of injecting a certain motivation into the people who carry it, giving confidence to achieve goals and an unbreakable spirit in the person.
- In crystal therapy, this mineral is used to treat problems related to severe menstrual pain, gland and uterus problems, and even skin burns.
- It appeases the strong emotions so that we can move calmly in a world of constant development.
- It helps to take a healthy distance with things and with the problems or obstacles that come our way.
- Remove the symptoms of guilt and fear.
- It instills peace in the home, gives serenity and comfort.
- It promotes concentration and is considered a symbol of friendship and reliability.
- It clarifies the thoughts, to focus on our personal goals.
- It is balancing, since it strengthens, purifies and regulates the liver in a good way, it also stabilizes blood pressure and prevents thyroid diseases.
- It has a positive effect on the digestive system, specifically affecting the problems caused by stress, and it better attacks dysmenorrhea, thanks to its spasmolytic function.
- It exerts a great influence on the fourth chakra (heart) at the level of meditation, contributing to having self-esteem, opening ourselves to the world in a cordial way, and also facilitating the elevation of consciousness.
- If placed in the solar plexus it can expel a person’s negative emotions.
- And if it is placed in the throat chakra, it is able to provide better communication, helping against shyness, which is why it is recommended for people who have problems socializing.
- If this mineral is carried in the pocket as an amulet, they have the belief that it serves to attract good luck.
- It counteracts calcifications, arthritis and hardness in the bones.
Various uses of chrysocolla.
This stone is widely used in mining for the extraction of copper, although it is considered a smaller ore compared to other much more highly priced copper ores.
With it you can make cabochons or beads, as it is a minor gemstone. Sometimes it is faceted into various forms of gemstones for collectors. Despite the fact that its colors are very attractive and unique, this mineral, due to its low hardness, has limited use as a precious stone, although it is also used in decorations and jewelry making.
Some imitations of the chrysocolla.
Sometimes it is sold as turquoise, since its appearance is similar to chrysocolla . Sometimes it is treated with plastic or colorless wax or resin to improve its appearance.
Fun facts about chrysocolla.
- Formerly this mineral was used in jewelry by the Greeks, Egyptians and Native American Indians, and over time its use spread to other cultures and peoples.
- The Egyptians believed that this stone had the power to transmit to whoever carried it a great love relationship where the spirit entered.
- The crisocola it is also known as silicon copper.
- Ancient miners used this mineral as an indicator to find copper deposits.
- Theophrastus indicated in his reviews dating back to 315 BC that this stone can weld gold.
- Native American Indians used chrysocolla as a healing stone, to strengthen their defenses and calm emotions.
How to clean the chrysocolla?
Since the chrysocolla is not a protective stone, but rather strengthens a person’s gifts and helps him emotionally. This does not work as a shield against negative energies, therefore, this mineral does not require energy cleaning.
You only need physical cleaning, just by passing a soft cloth or towel with a little soap.
It is important to note that this stone should not be cleaned with water, as it is very porous and can easily break when wet.