Beryl Semiprecious Stone
The beryl belongs to Ciclosilicatos mineral beryllium aluminum, i.e., are silicates formed by tetrahedrons as rings, when in their pure state are usually colorless, and impurities that contribute color and depending on the color having, their varieties are named. There are different beryl healing properties.
Its crystallization occurs in hexagonal prisms with pinacoid, which notes or with vertical or pyramid lines. For example, the emerald variety shows the central prism surrounded by six radial crystals.
It forms in pegmatites, and when the magmatic solution enriches with white or transparent beryllium, its origin is hydrothermal. But beryl presents in the same way, other varieties that have colors, such as:
- Aquamarine has a transparent color of greenish-blue.
- The emerald shows in a dark green transparent color.
- The heliodor is showing a light gold or golden color.
- The morganite shows a pink color.
- The Goshenite is colorless and sometimes has a white stripe.
- The red beryl that, as its name implies, is scarlet red.
- The pezzottaite that shows a raspberry color is sometimes mistaken for red beryl.
Main deposits of beryl.
These minerals can find in Brazil, Afghanistan (northern part), Russia, the United States, and Pakistan, Ukraine, Madagascar, Zambia, and India. The most sought-after emerald variety is currently in Colombia. On the other hand, in Spain, specifically in Pontevedra. Córdoba, Coruña, Girona, Ourense, Cáceres, Asturias and Madrid, there is the common beryl, which can be found large specimens.
Beryl physical properties.
- Color: yellow, white, green, blue, pink, among others.
- Stripe: white
- Luster: fatty, vitreous, waxy.
- Transparency: opaque or transparent
- Crystal system: hexagonal
- Exfoliation: imperfect
- Hardness: 7.5 – 8 (Mohs).
- Density: 2.63 – 2.92.
- Refractive index: nω = 1,564–1,595,
- Birrefringencia: δ = 0.0040–0.0070
- The emotional tensions alleviate by this mineral. Its most common use is to calm stress. With it, you can find relaxation; It recommends for people who present depressive pictures or deep sadness. Even a person can overcome a bad mood with this mineral.
- The beryl helps improve self-confidence and self-esteem so that gradually the person feels sure of herself. This mineral is very useful to overcome shyness.
- If you are searching for love, this mineral can attract your true love, that is, the right person for you. But if you already have a relationship, the stone will provoke your desire to get married.
- The beryl helps rid of unnecessary or unwanted emotions. They show you how to process these feelings so that they do not affect your present and future.
- It helps unlock and realize potentials, remembering a person’s talents and abilities.
- The beryl raises intelligence and promotes creativity. It is eliminating fatigue and increasing the liveliness of the spirit, dissolving any obstacles that may arise. It will stimulate strength in the mind, body, and spirit to overcome challenges.
- This stone is perfect for self-tuning when performing healing or channeling work.
- Increases the body’s resistance to toxins and pollutants
- It helps treat the stomach, heart, liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, thyroid, pancreas, and ulcers.
- It helps in treating the spinal column. So, it also relieves the effects of concussions and in the treatment of head damage.
- It is a sedative stone if gargling with water from this crystal helps heal asthma and throat problems.
- It helps in the energy treatment of leukemia or other types of cancer.
- Also, it strengthens the circulatory system it also has a cleaning effect on the digestive system and the respiratory tract.
- It stimulates the sexual and reproductive organs, helping in infertility issues.
- It recommends sexual imbalances associated with emotional problems of sexual abuse so that the affected person feels safe and healthy towards sexual expression.
- Moreover, it releases karmic conflicts, as well as illnesses manifested by lack of self-love.
- The victim mentality and irrational fears are dissipated by this stone, allowing better communication and emotional understanding and comforting oneself and others.
- It considers a stone that stimulates creativity, confidence, and self-esteem.
- Strengthens the bonds of camaraderie, friendship, and loyalty
Types of beryl.
· Emerald: thanks to its abnormality, this stone has great value. This variety of green beryl is present in Colombia, Zambia, and Brazil, with Colombia being the main producer.
· Aqua beryl: this variety is in blue with a pale green hue. This precious stone highly appreciates in jewelry, thanks to its solidity that allows various cuts. Its brightness and color resemble seawater.
· Berio heliodor appears in golden color, and this characteristic color is because it has iron impurities. To make its color more precious, this stone can expose to heat treatment. The main deposits where Heliodorous beryl obtains are in Madagascar, Russia, the United States, Namibia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Mozambique.
· Red beryl: also called scarlet emerald, red emerald, or Bixbit. Its characteristic red color is due to the presence of manganese ions. This stone associates with different minerals, such as quartz, Octoclase, bixbite, hematite, and pseudobrookite.
Red beryl of excellent quality has a great value and price in the market since it is very difficult to find it, being the United States where it is present the most. This gem is also confused with beryl pezzottaite which is raspberry in color.
· Beryl Morganite: it is a very rare variety. It is beryl of pink color, thanks to the presence of manganese ions. Its name of morganite is because, in 1989, JP Morgan found a 23 kg specimen in Maine, United States, which received the name of “Maine Rose.” However, the first pink beryl was located in Madagascar and California, the United States, and was very large.
· Beryl Goshenita: In Goshen, Massachusetts, it was located for the first time. It is colorless beryl and considers the purest variety of beryl, although it may have colorations due to impurities.
The value of this variety is very low, although if the gem exposes to radiation from high-energy particles that cause a change, it can increase its value. Still, it all depends on the impurities that the Goshenite has in mind. Formerly it uses to make glasses and other lenses, but today its use is exclusive as a gem, thanks to its transparency.
· Berilo Pezzottaite: A variety of beryl has a raspberry color with shades of pink, with six rings of silica tetrahedrons. It was first discovered in Madagascar in 2002 and was named after the Italian geologist Federico Pezzotta. Currently, this stone is used exclusively for jewelry.
Spiritual meaning of beryl.
Beryl considers being a great protector and healer due to its dynamic vibration since it mixes the energies of the root and heart chakras to extract the life force from the earth.
The innate qualities of unconditional love and respect for life expand. It also fosters cooperation, energy, and compatibility with other people. In relationships, it fuels passion and provides the courage to make emotionally deep commitments.
Beryl energy properties.
Various uses of beryl.
Beryl is currently used by the nuclear industry as a neutron reflector, making this mineral a very important element for this type of industry. Also, because it is a mineral with a very low density, it is used in the same way to make light copper alloys. For this reason, it also uses in the aeronautical industry.
Additionally, this mineral has a great variety: translucent (emeralds, aquamarines, etc.), which uses to make jewelry and collectibles.
Beryl fun facts.
- Cleopatra had a preference for emeralds ( beryl variety ).
- In the past, beryl uses various rituals, one of the most striking that stands out was the ritual to avoid the rain.
- According to historians, there is a find in the year 1695 on an aquamarine stone carved with flowers and sacred texts.
- Some celebrities use beryl as a good luck charm.
In Colombia are the most sought-after beryl stones in the world.